Vitamin B or better known as B Vitamins is a water-soluble vitamin, which is not one, but a series of 8 different types of molecules. They are important for converting food into energy in our body, apart from other different roles.
- Vit B-1 (Thiamin) is vital to the healthy growth and function of organs, especially brain & heart.
- Vit B-2 (Riboflavin) helps in breaking down fats and drugs.
- Vit B-3 (Niacin) helps maintain healthy skin, nerves, and also digestion.
- Vit B-5 (Pantothenic acid) for the health of the brain and nervous system.
- Vit B-6 (Pyridoxine) helps the body make new red blood cells and keep the immune system strong.
- Vit B-7 (Biotin) essential for healthy hair, nails, and nerve function.
- Vit B-9 (Folic acid) or folate, its natural form is needed to make DNA. During pregnancy, folic acid may reduce the risk of certain birth defects. This is why pregnant women often take folic acid supplement
- Vit B-12 (Cobalamin) required for blood cells and nerves and prevents anemia
Other than VitB12, our body cannot store these vitamins for longer durations and hence needs to be regularly replenished through food. Organ meat, Egg, Leafy veggies, fruits, and legumes are good sources of these 8 varieties of B Vitamins.
Deficiency of B Vitamins leads to mouth ulcers, anemia, skin disorders and even increased risk of birth defect in pregnancy