Omega – 3 is a type of Polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) that is seen in fish, nuts, algae, flax seeds, etc that has amazing health benefits
ALA is seen in plant-based products such as walnut, flax seeds, canola, etc, while EPA & DHA are seen in krill oil, fish, algae, etc. In terms of health benefits and requirements, EPA & DHA are considered to be superior in function and requirement by the human body.
- Helps to build cell membranes throughout the body
- Omega-3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory in nature. Omega-3 works to lessen the effects of inflammation by blocking multiple inflammation pathways in the cell. Hence, it is particularly helpful for those with Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative Colitis, etc
- Omega 3 also helps in maintaining a healthy heart and brain function
- It also helps in reducing the triglycerides level in the human body
- Omega 3, especially DHA is very important for retinal health and eyesight.
- An adequate amount of Omega 3 is particularly important during pregnancy for fetal development
- Some research suggests Omega 3’s ability to fight diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Dementia
- Omega 3 is also claimed to be helpful for those with NAFLD (Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver)
- Omega 3, especially EPA is claimed to help even fight depression & anxiety
- Omega 3 also claims to reduce your insulin resistance of the cells and also improve metabolism to a great extent.
- There are non-conclusive claims of Omega 3 helping in reducing the cancer threat.